CELTA Program (Toronto)
CELTA, the Certificate in English Language Training to Adults, is the #1 most widely recognized qualification for teaching English abroad and in Canada. For this reason it has become the most popular choice for people looking for opportunities to work and live overseas.
CELTA Program highlights
- 11-week, part-time course focusing on practical aspects of language teaching
- Guaranteed maximum ratio of 1 trainer to 6 trainees
- Get experience teaching multi-lingual groups of language learners
- Receive support to find English teaching jobs locally and abroad
- TESL Canada Recognized
The objective of the CELTA program is to provide you with the skills, knowledge and confidence you need to be a successful English teacher in Canada or abroad. In the CELTA course you will:
- Learn the principles of effective teaching
- Develop a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- Gain valuable hands-on teaching experience
The part-time CELTA program at Greystone College Toronto is the most flexible option to help you transition into a rewarding English teaching career where you have the opportunity to inspire students and have a meaningful impact on our global society. Over 10,000 people each year choose CELTA to open up a whole world of exciting English language teaching opportunities. This program is recognized by TESL Canada. Students who successfully complete this program and have a degree may apply for TESL Canada’s Professional Standard Level One certification.
Greystone College’s part-time CELTA program is an excellent fit for anyone who:
- Is currently studying, or fresh out of school
- Wants to travel and work abroad
- Craves a culturally rich work life in Canada
- Is looking for an exciting career change
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a standard of education that would allow you to enter university in your country (high school).
- Have an advanced level of English to teach at a range of levels (CEFR C1-C2+, CEFR C2, TOEFL 102, IELTS 7.5 or higher).
- Undergraduate degree recommended.
*To be able to apply for TESL Canada certification, students must meet the education (BA or equivalent) and language requirements (iBT 101, IELTS 7) as specified by TESL Canada. www.tesl.ca.
If an applicant fails to meet the minimum requirements, they cannot be waived by either the institution or the student.
In your CELTA course, you will cover five main topics:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
The CELTA course structure includes:
- Input sessions: Learn the principles of effective teaching and gain a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners.
- Teaching practice: Get six hours of supervised and assessed teaching practice at two different levels.
- Feedback on teaching practice: Personalized oral and written feedback on your teaching practice.
- Lesson planning: Guidance in planning your lessons for the teaching practice.
- Tutorial support: Individualized tutorials and assistance to help you map your progress.
- Observation: Learn from observing your peers and experienced teachers at one of the largest English schools in Canada.
- Assignments: Four written assignments to reinforce the theory behind the practical aspects of teaching.
How You Will Be Assessed
You will be assessed throughout the course as there is no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge English Language Assessment, moderates each course and to complete the program successfully, you must pass two assessments – Teaching Practice, which includes 6 hours of teaching and Written Assignments. There are three passing grades:
- Pass 'A'
- Pass 'B'
11 weeks (Mon, Wed, Sat)
Mon and Wed – 6:00 to 9:30 pm
Sat – 9:00 am to 1:30 pm
Start Dates - 2017
|Course Dates 2017||Application Deadlines|
Feb 18 –
Jun 15 –
Sep 9 –
|* offered Mon-Wed-Thursday evenings from 6 pm to 9:30 pm|
CELTA is one of the most widely recognized teaching qualifications of its kind and your CELTA certification will open up a wide variety of opportunities to live and teach English abroad and in Canada. All teacher trainees at Greystone College are given access to ILSC job postings and support with finding a teaching position.
As one of the largest English teacher training centers in Canada, we are constantly being contacted by schools and institutions locally and abroad who are looking for CELTA-qualified teachers.
The ILSC Education Group has schools in Canada and abroad and we can put you in touch with the recruiting directors at any of our 8 worldwide locations including: Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver, Canada; San Francisco and New York, USA; New Delhi, India; and Sydney and Brisbane, Australia.
About the University of Cambridge & CELTA
The University of Cambridge in England has been at the forefront of English language assessing and teacher development for over forty years. Their rigorous standards and internal assessment processes ensure high quality testing and training that makes their programs and qualifications recognized around the world. ILSC–Montréal has been an authorized Cambridge CELTA center since 2003.
What is CELTA?
CELTA, the University of Cambridge’s Certificate in English Language Training to Adults, is internationally known and respected as the standard for teaching English to students whose first language is not English.
About TESL Canada
TESL CANADA (Teaching English as a Second Language in Canada) is a national organization dedicated to advancing communication and coordinating awareness of issues for those concerned with English as a second language and English skills development. The organization promotes advocacy for ESL learners, unifies teachers and learners by providing a forum and network capabilities, supports the sharing of knowledge and experiences across Canada, and represents diverse needs and interests in TESL nationally and internationally.
Learn more: TESL Canada Website
Your CELTA course at Greystone College is a TESL Canada recognized program. This means that you are able to apply to your TESL Canada certificate once you finish your CELTA course*.
*To be able to apply for TESL Canada certification, students must meet the education (BA or equivalent) and language requirements (iBT 80, IELTS 6.5) as specified by TESL Canada. www.tesl.ca.