Positions Responsible: Director, Student Services Manager
Implementation Date: December 2002
Date of Last Revision: July 2016
Greystone College collects students' personal information for the following reasons:
- To maintain student records as required by the Ministry of Higher Education – Private Training Institutions.
- To maintain student records as required by SABC (accredited schools).
- To keep students/graduates informed of activities of the school.
- To issue T2202As in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency
Students' personal information is not used for any other purpose.
For all career training programs:
- Greystone College retains the full student file for a period of eight (8) years following the student’s withdrawal, dismissal or graduation. After eight years, the full student record is destroyed using a secure destruction method.
- Greystone College uploads a copy of the students’ contract, transcripts and credential (if any) to an approved third-party vendor. These records are retained for a period of twenty five (25)years by the third-party vendor.
Procedure for maintaining student files:
- Student personal information is collected throughout the student’s attendance at the institution. All required information regarding the student is placed in the student file.
- Student files containing personal information are safely stored in a secure location (e-file) and access to the student files is limited to the appropriate administrative staff, and Director.
- When a student leaves the school either by withdrawal, dismissal or graduation a transcript is prepared showing the grades achieved in the courses completed. If the student has completed all courses within the program of study, a program credential is also prepared. These documents are signed by the Director and copies of the signed documents are placed in the student e-file.
- Within 60 days of the student leaving school, electronic copies of the Enrolment Contract, Transcript and Diploma for full career training programs are sent to the third-party vendor approved by the Minister of Advanced Education for long term storage (for a period of 25 years).
- Full student records are saved electronically for eight (8) years for class A programs, three (3) years for class B and C programs. At the end of the period, the full student file may be destroyed using a secure destruction method.
Student records kept electronically must be:
- In a format so that copies of the student record can be made
- Backed up at least once a month
- Stored in a secure manner
- In a format that is not proprietary software
- Accessible, on request, by the registrar.
Procedure for student access to the information on file:
- Students wishing to access the information in the student file must make the request in writing.
- The Director will meet with the student to review the file and will provide copies of any document the student requests.
- The student will pay $0.25 per page for the documents copied for him/her.
Procedure for authorizing release of information:
- If a student wishes to authorize a third party to access information in his/her student file, he/she must do so in writing.
- The school will not release information to any person other than people authorized by the student to access information unless required to do so by legislation, a subpoena, court order or if release of information is necessary as part of an ongoing police investigation.