TKT Young Learners Certificate
- Learn valuable strategies, skills and knowledge required to teach English to Young Learners
- 1 week of unique practicum that includes observation and practice teaching in day-cares, pre-schools, or elementary schools
- Program designed by qualified and experienced experts in both ESL and public education for children, adolescents and adults
- Option to take the internationally recognized Cambridge University TKT–YL Exam
The TKT–Young Learners Program will provide students with the knowledge, strategies and skills required to teach and engage young learners. TKT: Young Learners is ideal if you are an international teacher working, or intending to work, in the primary sector of education. Students will gain an understanding of planning lessons, different teaching strategies and assessing learning. The 4 week course includes 1 week of unique practicum that includes observation and practice teaching in day-cares, pre-schools, or elementary schools.
- Students who are interested in attending Greystone College must have completed (graduated from) their final year of general schooling.
- International students must demonstrate a high intermediate level of English with our online written test and arranged speaking interview (the online test may be waived if currently in an ILSC Intermediate 4 or higher).
- The online written test is exempt if TOEFL iBT 70 or IELTS 6.0 is presented
- Criminal Record Check is required.
*Note: If an applicant fails to meet the minimum requirements, they cannot be waived by either the institution or the student.
Program OverviewPart 1: Knowledge of Young Learners and Principles of Teaching English to Young Learners
- Children's characteristics as language learners
- Developing children's learning strategies through language learning
- Developing children's cognitive strategies through language learning
- Developing children's communications strategies through language learning
- Lesson plans - components/headings
- Providing support and challenge when selecting course books and supplementary materials
- Additional resources—selecting, adapting and supplementing
- Scaffolding children's understanding of language and use of language through teacher language and teaching strategies
- Using practice activities to consolidate children's language and learning
- Managing young learners in class
- Purposes of different types of classroom-based assessment
- Focus of different types of classroom-based assessment
- Acting on classroom-based assessment evidence
All modules will include Classroom Management, Lesson Planning, Teacher Discourse, Intercultural Awareness and Communication, Professional Conduct and Development.
4 weeks (includes 1 week practicum)
Start Dates - 2016
Jan 4, Feb 29, Apr 25, Jun 20, Aug 15, Oct 11
"Greystone College students have been a wonderful addition to our school over the past several months. The practicum students are able to jump into our curriculum for a period of one week and have the chance to contribute as much as they are comfortable with. They experience what it is like to observe and help run an active classroom with a daily, routine schedule of activities. Overall, they help the teachers create the joyful environment of discovery that the children look forward to learning in each day."
Danielle Leonardi, Principal, CEFA North Vancouver
What is TKT?
TKT is a test from Cambridge ESOL about teaching English to speakers of other languages. It aims to increase teachers' confidence and enhance job prospects by focusing on the core teaching knowledge needed by teachers of primary, secondary or adult learners, anywhere in the world. This flexible and accessible award will help you to understand different methodologies for teaching, the 'language of teaching', the ways in which resources can be used, the key aspects of lesson planning, and classroom management methods for different needs. Learn more about the TKT: Frequently Asked Questions
Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT YL) Test Dates - 2016
- Friday, January 29
- Friday, February 26
- Saturday, March 19
- Friday, April 22
- Saturday, May 14
- Friday, June 17
- Friday, July 15
- Friday, August 12
- Friday, September 9
- Saturday, October 1
- Friday, November 4
- Friday, December 2
Test dates subject to change.
Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT YL) Test Dates - 2017
- Friday, January 27
- Friday, February 24
- Friday, March 24
- Friday, April 21
- Saturday, May 13
- Friday, June 16
- Friday, July 14
- Friday, August 11
- Friday, September 8
- Friday, October 6
- Friday, November 3
- Friday, December 1
|Exam Modules||Early Registration Fee||Late registration Fee|
|1,2,3 and YL||$350||$100|